What is HOBY?
Ainsley Sutter, Kennedy Rowley and Sam Yonker
Hugh O’Brian Youth (HOBY) leadership seminars have been held since 1958. These leadership conferences bring sophomores from across the country together to assist them in growing their leadership skills and potential.
Last year more than 7,500 students attended, from the United States and Canada.
Perrysburg High School will select two students to attend HOBY. This year the leadership conference will be held at Ohio Northern University on June 4-7, 2020.
Mr. Dave Dakolios – Perrysburg High School’s assistant principal – runs the HOBY application process at PHS.
Dakolios explained PHS’ representatives are selected: “I take everyone’s application and I black out the name and then I give them to the counselors, the administrators, and Ms. Czech. And they all vote on … three because you pick two to go and the third like an alternative, if one cant go.”
For the 2019 conference, Quinn Baumgartner and Hanan Sjah attended as Perrysburg’s representatives.
The students chosen to attend HOBY in 2020 will be announced next week.
Other stories on eSomethin:
- How athletes are staying in shape during COVID-19 quarantine
- Annual senior video celebrates the class of 2020
- Principal Short makes many decisions as the high school copes with COVID-19
- Corona-cation activities to cure your apathy
- Governor DeWine’s update on COVID-19 details changes, openings