Baking with Liv & Riss
By Olivia Henthorn and Marissa Amstutz
Carrot Cake Cupcakes – difficultly level hard
|Bake these delicious carrot cake cupcakes for your family or friends for any occasion. This recipe can also be converted to a two-layer cake, but as cupcakes they are easy to take and travel with. They are also fun to frost!|
2 C All purpose flour
1 ½ C Sugar
¼ c Brown Sugar, packed (dark or light)
1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 t Salt
4 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Nutmeg
⅛ tsp Ground Cloves
¼ tsp Ground Ginger
2 C of Shredded Carrots
1 C Coconut Flakes, sweetened
1 C Raisins
1 Can 8 oz Crushed Pineapple, drained (except for 1 Tbsp of juice)
1 ½ C Walnuts or Pecans, chopped small
1 C Vegetable Oil
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp Finely Grated Orange Zest
PAM Non-Stick Cooking Spray (optional) or Cupcake liners
2 Cupcake Pans
Total Prep Time: 1 ¼ Hours or
Total Cooling and Icing Time: 2 ½ Hours
Steps for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two cupcake pans and spray each hole with PAM or use cupcake liners
- In a large bowl, whisk well: Flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground ginger.
- Peel and then grate the carrots finely. You could also put the carrots in a food processor until they are finely grated, but not mushy!
- In a medium bowl: add carrots, grated fresh orange peel, drained pineapple, raisins, coconut flakes, nuts, and mix all of it well with a big spoon.
- Still in the medium bowl, add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs and mix well. Add one tablespoon of the reserved pineapple juice, mix well.
- Now pour the mixed medium bowl ingredients into the large bowl, so that it is all together.
- With both bowls ingredients into one, use a handheld mixer or a Kitchen Aid mixer to blend ingredients together for one minute. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- The dough is now done. Use a spoon to put dough into already prepared cupcake tins.
- Put them in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Halfway through cooking, rotate so that they cook evenly.
- When the timer goes off, stick a toothpick in: if it comes out clean, then the cakes are done. If not, stick back in for a few more minutes.
- Now let them cool completely for 1 hour before removing to ice. When they are completely cool, carefully take them out of the tins and ice!!!